A well-known and masterful New Orleans chef was found alive Monday after he was prematurely reported dead by multiple news outlets earlier in the day.
Demietriek Scott, who hadn’t been heard from for two weeks, returned home Monday safe and sound, explaining to WWL that he went off the grid after “life kicked in, life caved in.”
“I just needed time for me to sit around and think,” he said.
He was reported missing Saturday after loved ones had not heard from him since May 31, according to the station.
Scott was scheduled to serve food at a popular festival over the weekend, but he never showed up as his food trailer was left abandoned for days.
After a body was reportedly found in a New Orleans neighborhood earlier Monday, his daughter reportedly told WWL that it was Scott’s — but the coroner’s office hadn’t confirmed the identity of the remains.
Multiple outlets reported him dead before quickly updating their stories when he turned up alive Monday afternoon. Some outlets still had outdated tweets up Monday night from their accounts reporting he was dead.
“Thank you everybody,” Scott, who never left the Louisiana city, told the station. “I appreciate the love.
“I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I didn’t think you all cared that much – just being real.”
He additionally told WVUE he was “truly grateful” for all the concern.
“I didn’t know that was a thing. … I just needed to get away from everything and just stay in a little while,” Scott said, also mentioning a grueling work schedule.
Scott grew up in New Orleans and the town of Lutcher, learning the art of cooking from his grandmothers, according to his website. He owns a food truck and sells a line of creole barbeque sauces.
Scott’s cousin Rayshone Emmanuel described the moment to WWL Scott was discovered alive.
“Tears of shed. They were tears of joy,” Emmanuel said. “A load has been lifted. I can breathe again.”